The Netherlands’ are known worldwide for flower production. There is no better place to see the scale of the country’s flower business than at the Aalsmeer Flower Auction.
The auction is run by FloraHolland, the company responsible for the majority of flower exports from Holland. According to their website, the Aalmseer location is large enough to fit 4,000 football (soccer) fields and is home to over 20,000 different varieties of plants and flowers.
The Aalsmeer Shuttle
The majority of the action at Aalsmeer takes place early in the morning. The catwalk above the action contains information boards and a self-guided tour. It’s advisable to get there early in the morning, which usually means boarding Connexxion Bus 172 from Centraal Station (or around 7:10 from near Museumplein) to get out to the facility in time to see the action.
The Auction Clock
Explanation of the Auction Clock
The Aalsmeer Center also contains a state-of-the-art testing facility, assuring their buyers that they are acquiring the highest quality flowers available on the market.
Aalsmeer Gift Shop
Understanding that getting up before 6 A.M. to catch a bus is not most people’s idea of fun while on vacation, I still can not recommend a visit to Aalsmeer highly enough.
Visitor Information via FloraHolland’s website.
Europe 2013 Posts-
- Day One- Golden Circle & a Reykjavik Walk
- The Golden Circle, Iceland
- Photo Essay- Þingvellir National Park, Iceland
- Photo Essay- Gulfoss Waterfall, Iceland
- Photo Essay- Geysir & The Haukadalur Valley, Iceland
- Photo Essay- Skálholt & Kerið
- Day 2- A Church, A Lagoon, & Native Cuisine
- Photo Essay- Hallgrimskirkja
- Photo Essay- The Blue Lagoon
- Cafe Loki- Adventures in Icelandic Cuisine, Part One
- Tapas Barinn – Adventures in Icelandic Cuisine, Part Two
- Day 3- A Long, Bloody History
- Photo Essay- The Saga Museum, Reykjavik
- Photo Essay- Borgarnes, Iceland
- Day 4- Iceland in Miniature
- Photo Essay- Helgafell & Stykkishólmur
- Photo Essay- The Snæfellsnes Peninsula, Iceland
- Iceland’s Bjarnahofn
- Driving in Iceland
Beers & Bars of the Europe 2013 Trip:
- Microbar- Reykjavik, Iceland
- Cafe Gollem- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Moeder Lambic- Brussels, Belgium
- Beer Mania- Brussels, Belgium
- Delirium Tap House, Brussels
- Cantillon Brewery, Brussels
- Four More Brussels Bars
- De Halve Maan Brewery, Bruges
- Drinking in Poperinge, Belgium
- In De Vrede, Westetvletern, Belgium